WASHINGTON (AP) — A judge has ordered that a Washington subway system mechanic who was fired after a fatal accident in January 2015 should be rehired.
The Washington Post (https://tinyurl.com/ka8ksfq) reports that U.S. District Judge James Boasberg released his decision on Wednesday in the case of Seyoum Haile.
The mechanic was fired by the Metro transit agency after he was found to have falsified maintenance logs for tunnel fans near the L’Enfant Plaza station. An electrical fire on the tracks near L’Enfant caused a train to fill with smoke, killing one passenger and sickening dozens more. The fans did not remove the smoke from the tunnels.
A Metro spokesman says the transit agency is considering an appeal.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle’s March for Science draws thousands on Earth Day — including a Nobel Prize winner WATCH
- Car brings down power lines, causing I-5 shutdown and outages in North Seattle
- Recipe: Bacon-Wrapped Corn on the Cob with Charred Lime Crema
- Boeing issues new layoff notices to 429 workers in Washington state
- Police say robbery suspect was killed by Seattle officers’ gunfire WATCH
The judge agreed with an arbitration board’s finding that Haile should have been suspended without pay.
Information from: The Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com