WASHINGTON (AP) — A judge has ordered that a Washington subway system mechanic who was fired after a fatal accident in January 2015 should be rehired.
The Washington Post (https://tinyurl.com/ka8ksfq) reports that U.S. District Judge James Boasberg released his decision on Wednesday in the case of Seyoum Haile.
The mechanic was fired by the Metro transit agency after he was found to have falsified maintenance logs for tunnel fans near the L’Enfant Plaza station. An electrical fire on the tracks near L’Enfant caused a train to fill with smoke, killing one passenger and sickening dozens more. The fans did not remove the smoke from the tunnels.
A Metro spokesman says the transit agency is considering an appeal.
Most Read Stories
- Submarines dismantled in Puget Sound are symbols of nation’s defense dilemma | Jon Talton
- Democrats are supposed to be fighting back, but they just keep losing | Danny Westneat
- Seattle Zestimates are off by $40,000; now hundreds of data crunchers vie to improve Zillow’s model
- Spike Lee posts, then deletes photo thanking Seahawks' Pete Carroll for signing Colin Kaepernick
- Police: Man hurling racial slurs kills 2, injures 1 on train
The judge agreed with an arbitration board’s finding that Haile should have been suspended without pay.
Information from: The Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com