WASHINGTON (AP) — A judge has ordered that a Washington subway system mechanic who was fired after a fatal accident in January 2015 should be rehired.
The Washington Post (https://tinyurl.com/ka8ksfq) reports that U.S. District Judge James Boasberg released his decision on Wednesday in the case of Seyoum Haile.
The mechanic was fired by the Metro transit agency after he was found to have falsified maintenance logs for tunnel fans near the L’Enfant Plaza station. An electrical fire on the tracks near L’Enfant caused a train to fill with smoke, killing one passenger and sickening dozens more. The fans did not remove the smoke from the tunnels.
A Metro spokesman says the transit agency is considering an appeal.
Most Read Stories
- Swastika-wearing man punched on Seattle street, removes swastika, police say
- Win over 49ers can't mask the fact that these Seahawks are in big trouble | Matt Calkins
- 'Polite Robber' suspect told similar sob story when arrested 8 years ago
- Seattle City Council picks Tim Burgess to replace Bruce Harrell as temporary mayor VIEW
- Let’s get something straight: Pedestrians always have the right of way at intersections
The judge agreed with an arbitration board’s finding that Haile should have been suspended without pay.
Information from: The Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com