NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — An Indian man has admitted he improperly touched a sleeping woman aboard a flight last year from Los Angeles to New Jersey.
Veerabhadrarao (VEER’-ah-bad-rah-roh) Kunam pleaded guilty Thursday to assault.
The 58-year-old resident of Visakhapatnam, India, was arrested in July after the Virgin America flight arrived in Newark.
Prosecutors say the woman awoke to find Kunam touching her genitals.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle’s March for Science draws thousands on Earth Day — including a Nobel Prize winner WATCH
- Car brings down power lines, causing I-5 shutdown and outages in North Seattle
- Recipe: Bacon-Wrapped Corn on the Cob with Charred Lime Crema
- Boeing issues new layoff notices to 429 workers in Washington state
- Police say robbery suspect was killed by Seattle officers’ gunfire WATCH
The woman alerted her male travel companion, who confronted Kunam. Investigators say Kunam offered to buy the man a drink. He declined and reported what happened to a flight crew member.
Kunam faces 30 to 60 days in prison and up to 90 days in an inpatient alcohol treatment center as part of a plea agreement. He will be sentenced March 22 in federal court in Newark.