NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — An Indian man has admitted he improperly touched a sleeping woman aboard a flight last year from Los Angeles to New Jersey.
Veerabhadrarao (VEER’-ah-bad-rah-roh) Kunam pleaded guilty Thursday to assault.
The 58-year-old resident of Visakhapatnam, India, was arrested in July after the Virgin America flight arrived in Newark.
Prosecutors say the woman awoke to find Kunam touching her genitals.
Most Read Stories
- Swastika-wearing man punched on Seattle street, removes swastika, police say
- 'Polite Robber' suspect told similar sob story when arrested 8 years ago
- Pete Carroll on Seahawks offense: 'There will be some things that will be a little bit different this week' WATCH
- In Seattle mayoral race between Jenny Durkan and Cary Moon, it’s the same old sexist nonsense | Nicole Brodeur
- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions sips a 'Nuke Waste' during low-key visit to Kitsap
The woman alerted her male travel companion, who confronted Kunam. Investigators say Kunam offered to buy the man a drink. He declined and reported what happened to a flight crew member.
Kunam faces 30 to 60 days in prison and up to 90 days in an inpatient alcohol treatment center as part of a plea agreement. He will be sentenced March 22 in federal court in Newark.