NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — An Indian man has admitted he improperly touched a sleeping woman aboard a flight last year from Los Angeles to New Jersey.
Veerabhadrarao (VEER’-ah-bad-rah-roh) Kunam pleaded guilty Thursday to assault.
The 58-year-old resident of Visakhapatnam, India, was arrested in July after the Virgin America flight arrived in Newark.
Prosecutors say the woman awoke to find Kunam touching her genitals.
Most Read Stories
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Why watermelon is good for you
- Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here
- Distracted-driving law in full effect for Monday morning commute
- Woman, 71, and terrier-Chihuahua named Yoda rescued after nearly week in Olympic National Park
The woman alerted her male travel companion, who confronted Kunam. Investigators say Kunam offered to buy the man a drink. He declined and reported what happened to a flight crew member.
Kunam faces 30 to 60 days in prison and up to 90 days in an inpatient alcohol treatment center as part of a plea agreement. He will be sentenced March 22 in federal court in Newark.