Hurricane Cristina has strengthened to a major Category 3 storm off Mexico's Pacific coast.
Hurricane Cristina has strengthened to a major Category 3 storm off Mexico’s Pacific coast.
The hurricane’s maximum sustained winds increased to near 120 mph (195 kph) early Thursday. The U.S. National Hurricane Center says weakening is expected Friday.
Cristina is centered about 240 miles (390 kilometers) southwest of Manzanillo, Mexico, and is moving west-northwest near 8 mph (13 kph).
There are no coastal watches or warnings in effect, but forecasters say swells generated by the hurricane are affecting parts of Mexico’s southwest coast and could cause life-threatening surf and rip current conditions.
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena
- 9 arrested, 5 officers hurt as May Day anti-capitalist march turns violent
- Former Skyline High QB Jake Heaps signs with Seahawks
- High court rejects franchises’ challenge to Seattle’s $15 wage law
- Sinkhole forms above Sound Transit light-rail tunnel in Roosevelt area