GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) — The Islamic militant group Hamas says seven of its members died when a tunnel into Israel collapsed as they were working on it.
Hamas said Thursday that 11 militants were repairing the tunnel to fix damage sustained from heavy rainfall. The tunnel collapsed killing seven, while the rest were rescued, it said.
Mosque speakers in Gaza blared Hamas speeches and eulogies mourning the dead militants after the announcement.
Hamas has built a sophisticated network of tunnels that it has used to penetrate Israel to carry out attacks on civilians and soldiers. Israel destroyed dozens of the tunnels in the war with the militant group in Gaza in 2014.
- Live updates from the DNC: Sanders says Clinton 'must become the next president'
- Witnesses say WSU football players attacked two students
- Ken Griffey Jr.’s emotional Hall of Fame speech makes him more human
- At least 19 killed, about 20 injured in knifing near Tokyo VIEW
- Jury finds Seattle police chief retaliated against 2 officers in overtime pay dispute
Most Read Stories
Three other Hamas militants were killed in tunnel collapses in Gaza earlier this month.