GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) — The Islamic militant group Hamas says seven of its members died when a tunnel into Israel collapsed as they were working on it.
Hamas said Thursday that 11 militants were repairing the tunnel to fix damage sustained from heavy rainfall. The tunnel collapsed killing seven, while the rest were rescued, it said.
Mosque speakers in Gaza blared Hamas speeches and eulogies mourning the dead militants after the announcement.
Hamas has built a sophisticated network of tunnels that it has used to penetrate Israel to carry out attacks on civilians and soldiers. Israel destroyed dozens of the tunnels in the war with the militant group in Gaza in 2014.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle skyline is tops in construction cranes — more than any other U.S. city
- Complete coverage: No. 5 Huskies roll to 41-17 victory over Oregon State Beavers VIEW
- Kremlin: demands for Assad's departure "thoughtless"
- Injury to sideline UW sack leader Joe Mathis against Oregon State
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Three other Hamas militants were killed in tunnel collapses in Gaza earlier this month.