Egypt's state news agency says the Gaza Strip's Hamas ruler has met with Egypt's intelligence chief to discuss Palestinian reconciliation and the cease-fire between the militant group and Israel.
Egypt’s state news agency says the Gaza Strip’s Hamas ruler has met with Egypt’s intelligence chief to discuss Palestinian reconciliation and the cease-fire between the militant group and Israel.
Ismail Haniyeh’s met with Rafaat Shehata on Sunday, a day after arriving in Egypt. Egypt’s Islamist President Mohammed Morsi mediated a cease-fire between Hamas and Israel last year.
Relations between Egypt and Hamas are high on the agenda. Hamas, a Palestinian offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood – the group from which Morsi hails – has come under attack by some in Egypt who accuse it of harboring militants that operate in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula.
Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal is also in Egypt, where the group is expected to choose its next leader. Mashaal is a top candidate for the post.
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?