Share story

CHICAGO — After he shot his way into a home in the Central Illinois town of Manchester, police say Rick Odell Smith gunned down a great-grandmother, a young couple and three young children. Then he did something that puzzled authorities.

He scooped up one of the children, a 6-year-old girl who was still alive, and carried her to a neighbor’s home. Then he jumped into his white Chevy Lumina and sped off. Police caught up with him hours later, and he died in a gunfight with officers.

State Police Lt. Col. Todd Kilby couldn’t explain Smith’s apparent concern for the girl. “All I have is that it was a neighbor” who took her in, he said.

A source said the man told the neighbor to take her to a hospital. The neighbor called police.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

The girl, Kassidy Ralston, remained in serious condition at a hospital in Springfield with facial injuries, according to relatives and a source.

The girl’s great-grandmother, her parents and her younger brothers all died in the rampage. While officials have not released their names, relatives identified them as Joanne Sinclair, 65; Brittany Luark, 22; her boyfriend, Roy Ralston; Nolan Ralston, 5; and Brantley Ralston, 1.

Smith, 43, approached the family’s home southwest of Springfield shortly before dawn. Police said he used a shotgun to blast through a back door, and was also armed with a hunting rifle with a scope and a large hunting knife.

Smith shot the people with the shotgun at close range, police said.

“The guy broke into the house,” said Brad Teeter, Sinclair’s son-in-law. “I couldn’t tell you about the guy, never met him, never seen him, never talked to him. He apparently broke into the home of my wife’s mother and shot everybody inside.”

State Police would not comment on a possible motive. But a neighbor of Smith’s said the gunman had been going through a custody battle with Sinclair’s daughter over their 4-year-old child. Neither she nor the girl were in the home at the time of the shooting, according to authorities and the family.

The neighbor said Smith had lived with the woman at his home until recently. The neighbor said the two had been together for about five years.

The neighbor said Smith worked as a jack of all trades. “He did odd jobs for people; he could fix anything. He was a really hard worker,” the neighbor said.

The neighbor said Smith had custody of their daughter fairly often, but added, “I know there was a lot of friction with (her) family.”

Scott County State’s Attorney Michael Hill said Smith, of rural Morgan County, had previous convictions for reckless homicide, drugs and bad checks.

Manchester Mayor Ronald Drake confirmed Smith was his nephew, but said he hadn’t spoken to Smith in two years.

Material from The Associated Press is included in this report.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.