TOMS RIVER, N.J. (AP) — Authorities say a young New Jersey girl playing with friends in a lagoon has died after being electrocuted when she touched a rail on a metal boat lift that had become energized.
Toms River police say the 11-year-old Newark girl and two friends were using an inflatable raft and swimming in the lagoon behind a township home Saturday night.
Authorities say two of the girls apparently touched the rail of the boat lift, and an electric current energized the equipment.
One girl was taken to a hospital but died there a short time later. The two other children were not injured.
Most Read Stories
- Look back at our live coverage of the solar eclipse WATCH
- Your guide to enjoying the eclipse from Seattle
- Friends honor artist’s last wishes with water ballet in a Seattle kiddie pool WATCH
- 3 surprising Seattle restaurant closures — plus 11 more
- Battling demons in a community looking to Trump for change VIEW
Authorities say the girls were wearing lifejackets and in the presence of adults when the accident occurred.
The death remains under investigation.