KENNEBUNKPORT, Maine (AP) — Former President George H. W. Bush has made his first public appearance since he was released from a Houston hospital last month.
The 92-year-old Bush was treated for pneumonia and chronic bronchitis during a two-week stay at the hospital in April. He left April 28.
The former president and former first lady Barbara Bush attended the re-dedication of the Mathew J. Lanigan Bridge over the Kennebunk River in Maine on Friday. The Bushes make their summer home in Kennebunkport.
The bridge was first built in 1933 and takes drivers and pedestrians from Kennebunk to Kennebunkport. The event included Girl Scouts, musicians and antique vehicles from 1933, as well as a double ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Most Read Stories
- Submarines dismantled in Puget Sound are symbols of nation’s defense dilemma | Jon Talton
- Democrats are supposed to be fighting back, but they just keep losing | Danny Westneat
- Spike Lee posts, then deletes photo thanking Seahawks' Pete Carroll for signing Colin Kaepernick
- Swedish double-booked its surgeries, and the patients didn't know | Quantity of Care
- Seattle Zestimates are off by $40,000; now hundreds of data crunchers vie to improve Zillow’s model