NEW YORK (AP) — A foundation affiliated with the Fire Department of New York is raising money for the daughter of the firefighter killed in a five-story fall.
The FDNY Foundation has set up an educational fund for 8-year-old Isabella Tolley (TOH’-lee).
Her father, 42-year-old William Tolley, of Bethpage, Long Island, was killed Thursday while battling a fire in Queens.
Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro (NY’-groh) says Tolley’s death is a “terrible tragedy for the department.”
Most Read Stories
- Foreign buyers drop off as Seattle housing market hits hottest tempo since 2006 bubble
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- ‘A painful and frustrating experience’: Horizon Air scheduling havoc will continue into the fall
- Seattle police after organizer cancels popular Magnuson Park movie nights: ‘The park is safe’
- Dining on roadkill: Washington residents gather 1,600 deer, elk in law's first year VIEW
It’s among several recent losses at the FDNY.
In September, a fire battalion chief was killed while responding to an explosion at a marijuana grow house in the Bronx.
Last month, an FDNY emergency medical worker was struck and killed by her own ambulance after the vehicle was stolen.