OCALA, Fla. (AP) — Federal prosecutors say a Florida man planned to blow up several Target stores along the East Coast in an attempt to cheap stock in the company.
The Orlando Sentinel (http://bit.ly/2loeQDn) reports 48-year-old Mark Charles Barnett of Ocala is charged with possession of a firearm (destructive device) affecting commerce by a previously convicted felon. Barnett is a registered sex offender in Florida.
The U.S. Department of Justice filed a complaint alleging Barnett built at least 10 explosive devices and paid another man to place the bombs on store shelves. Officials say the other man instead went to authorities.
The complaint says Barnett thought the explosions would cause Target stock prices to drop, allowing him to buy cheap shares in the company before it rebounded.
Most Read Stories
- Please go fishing, Washington state says after farmed Atlantic salmon escape broken net
- Seattle-based crab boat found on Bering Sea bottom; lost since February with crew of 6
- What caused Seattle-based crab boat to sink with 6 aboard? Coast Guard hoping to find out
- Lost Seattle-based crab-boat crew memorialized VIEW
- Police: Elderly Seattle brothers spent lifetime collecting sexual images of children, sexually abusing young girls
If convicted, Barnett faces up to 10 years in prison.
Information from: Orlando Sentinel, http://www.orlandosentinel.com/