Authorities say a 3-year-old Florida boy has died after shooting himself with a gun he found in his uncle's backpack.
Authorities say a 3-year-old Florida boy has died after shooting himself with a gun he found in his uncle’s backpack.
The shooting happened Tuesday night in a bedroom Jadarrius Speights shared with his uncle at an apartment complex in Tampa. Authorities say the uncle, 29-year-old Jeffrey D. Walker, has been charged with culpable negligence.
It wasn’t immediately clear whether Walker had an attorney. His phone number was not listed and jail records didn’t give a lawyer for him.
Police say he has a concealed weapons permit.
- Death of Evergreen senior, other player injuries renew football-safety debate
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle holds off Detroit Lions for 'Monday Night Football' victory
- Watch: Former Mariners great Ichiro Suzuki pitches — yes, pitches — for the Marlins
Most Read Stories
Hillsborough County sheriff’s spokeswoman Debbie Carter says the uncle was not in the room when the shooting happened, but the child’s parents were there. The boy was taken to a hospital where he died.