Authorities say a 3-year-old Florida boy has died after shooting himself with a gun he found in his uncle's backpack.
Authorities say a 3-year-old Florida boy has died after shooting himself with a gun he found in his uncle’s backpack.
The shooting happened Tuesday night in a bedroom Jadarrius Speights shared with his uncle at an apartment complex in Tampa. Authorities say the uncle, 29-year-old Jeffrey D. Walker, has been charged with culpable negligence.
It wasn’t immediately clear whether Walker had an attorney. His phone number was not listed and jail records didn’t give a lawyer for him.
Police say he has a concealed weapons permit.
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Female tiger killed by mating partner at Sacramento Zoo
- Sale of Weyerhaeuser’s Federal Way campus means more intensive development
Most Read Stories
Hillsborough County sheriff’s spokeswoman Debbie Carter says the uncle was not in the room when the shooting happened, but the child’s parents were there. The boy was taken to a hospital where he died.