A 4-month-old in a playpen was hospitalized with critical injuries after a neighbor's fireworks landed on her on her Ohio porch.
A 4-month-old in a playpen was hospitalized with critical injuries after a neighbor’s fireworks landed on her on her Ohio porch.
A witness told police a 10-year-old neighbor of the Youngstown baby kicked over a lit tubular firework, which shot into the playpen, burning Aubree McCormick.
The baby was flown to the burn unit at Akron Children’s Hospital following the late Friday night accident.
A spokeswoman at Akron Children’s Hospital confirmed the hospital was treating the baby Monday, but said her condition wasn’t immediately available.
- Power restored after major, hour-long outage in downtown Seattle
- Trump, Clinton win Washington state primary
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Boeing plans hundreds of layoffs in local IT unit
- Walkoff magic! Leonys Martin’s dramatic homer in ninth lifts Mariners
Most Read Stories
The child’s grandmother, Carol McCormick, injured her fingers rescuing the baby. She told WFMJ-TV in Youngstown the child’s entire face is burned.
“All I could do was just react,” McCormick said. “I didn’t think. I reacted. I grabbed hold of the firework and then the bed caught on fire that she was laying in.”
The child sustained first-, second- and third-degree burns on her face and hand, McCormick said.
Police are investigating.