JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Former Mississippi State quarterback and NFL draft prospect Dak Prescott was arrested and charged with driving under the influence early Saturday.
The Starkville Police Department confirmed Prescott’s arrest on Twitter late Saturday night. The post said he was arrested around 12:45 a.m. and that there is “no further information from SPD in this incident.”
The 6-foot-2, 226-pound Prescott is arguably the best player in Mississippi State history, rewriting the school’s passing records and helping the program win a combined 19 games in his junior and senior seasons.
Prescott — who was popular with teammates and often praised for his character during his time at Mississippi State — is projected to be drafted anywhere between the second and fourth rounds of April’s NFL Draft.
Most Read Stories
- Democrats are supposed to be fighting back, but they just keep losing | Danny Westneat
- Submarines dismantled in Puget Sound are symbols of nation’s defense dilemma | Jon Talton
- Swedish double-booked its surgeries, and the patients didn't know | Quantity of Care
- Spike Lee posts, then deletes photo thanking Seahawks' Pete Carroll for signing Colin Kaepernick
- Seattle Zestimates are off by $40,000; now hundreds of data crunchers vie to improve Zillow’s model
The Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger first reported Prescott’s arrest.
Prescott went through Mississippi State’s pro day Thursday, throwing for scouts from 30 NFL teams. He said he’s been pleased with his performance during workouts, including the NFL combine, but Saturday’s arrest undeniably clouds Prescott’s reputation as a squeaky-clean leader.
“The quarterback is the face of the organization in the NFL,” Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen said on Thursday. “And now they’re looking at a young guy who was the face of our organization here. He knows how to handle that pressure and knows how to carry himself.”
Prescott threw for 3,793 yards, 29 touchdowns and five interceptions last season while also running for 588 yards and 10 touchdowns.
Follow David Brandt on Twitter: www.twitter.com/davidbrandtAP