Workers have begun demolishing the elementary school building where a gunman killed 20 children and six adults, the town's top elected leader said Thursday.
Workers have begun demolishing the elementary school building where a gunman killed 20 children and six adults, the town’s top elected leader said Thursday.
Newtown First Selectman Pat Llodra said small-scale demolition is underway at Sandy Hook Elementary School and the project will take several weeks.
“The process of demolition is incremental, staged precisely and executed carefully,” she said. “There is no wrecking ball action; it is rather a piece-by-piece, section-by-section removal.”
The gunman killed his mother at their home before going to the school on Dec. 14. He committed suicide as police arrived.
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Reed brother led detectives to bodies believed to be Arlington couple
- Trump, Clinton win Washington state primary
- Your vote counts so little in today’s primary election, John Oliver joked about it on ‘Last Week Tonight’
- Ivar’s looks to sell, lease back two venerable restaurant sites
Most Read Stories
A task force of 28 Newtown elected officials voted unanimously in May to raze the Sandy Hook Elementary School and build a new one on the property where the existing school is located.
Newtown has accepted a $50 million state grant for the project, and a new school is expected to open by December 2016. Students have been attending classes in a neighboring town.
Contractors are being asked to destroy materials to eliminate nearly every trace of the building, an effort Llodra has said is intended to protect the victims’ privacy and keep people from taking parts of the building as souvenirs. Contractors also are required to sign confidentiality agreements to forbid public discussion of the site and the building.