NEW YORK (AP) — The father of a 13-year-old New York City girl struck by a livery cab when its driver suffered a heart attack says her backpack full of books saved her life.
Police say the crash occurred Thursday morning as the teen was standing on a street corner near her home in the Borough Park section of Brooklyn.
Officials say the cab driver had a heart attack at the wheel. Street surveillance video shows the runaway car jumping the curb at a high rate of speed and hitting the girl from behind as she tried to get out of the way.
The impact sent her onto the hood. She suffered a leg fracture and was treated at a hospital.
Most Read Stories
- Look back at our live coverage of the solar eclipse WATCH
- Your guide to enjoying the eclipse from Seattle
- Friends honor artist’s last wishes with water ballet in a Seattle kiddie pool WATCH
- 3 surprising Seattle restaurant closures — plus 11 more
- Battling demons in a community looking to Trump for change VIEW
The cab driver remains hospitalized in critical condition.