PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Police say a good Samaritan was shot multiple times when he got off his bike to try to stop an armed robbery in a park in one of Philadelphia’s most exclusive neighborhoods.
The shooting in Rittenhouse Square occurred around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday as people were still dining at sidewalk restaurant tables adjacent to the park.
Chief Inspector Scott Small says two armed men had stuck up a group of three to five people when the 39-year-old bicyclist intervened.
He says the man said something like “you are not going to rob these people, what are you doing?” Then the cyclist was shot.
Most Read Stories
- For $750, Seattle’s newest apartment is the size of a parking space
- Light snowfall expected in Seattle tonight; Snohomish County could see more
- This video of Marshawn Lynch narrating the 'Planet Earth II' iguana chase wins the internet
- Buzzfeed comes to Seattle, eats salmon and is dumbfounded by trees and mountains WATCH
- Forecast: Prepare for snow to hit Seattle late Thursday afternoon
Scott says the man was “very courageous, very brave” but also “very, very lucky,” because it appears he will survive. He has not yet been identified.
The gunmen are still being sought.