NEW YORK (AP) — Police say a man has stabbed his roommate to death at a New York City homeless shelter.
They say 62-year-old Deven Black was found stabbed in the neck Wednesday night in East Harlem.
They say the killer fled when a security guard opened the door to the room and found Black bleeding on the floor.
Police have identified their suspect as 21-year-old Anthony White, and they are searching for him. Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce says White has had psychiatric issues since at least 2013.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle could open housing for homeless where it’s OK to use heroin
- Police report: Wild Waves lifeguard didn't believe kids who reported body in pool
- Lessons in grieving after the sudden loss of a young man | Nicole Brodeur
- Rent-to-own homes: a win-win for landlords, a risk for tenants
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson, Ciara reportedly moved wedding due to North Carolina's transgender bathroom law
Residents at the Boulevard Homeless Shelter say White had threatened to kill someone for at least a week leading up to the attack. The shelter houses men with mental health issues.
Black was a former city public school teacher and librarian.