NEW YORK (AP) — Police say a man has stabbed his roommate to death at a New York City homeless shelter.
They say 62-year-old Deven Black was found stabbed in the neck Wednesday night in East Harlem.
They say the killer fled when a security guard opened the door to the room and found Black bleeding on the floor.
Police have identified their suspect as 21-year-old Anthony White, and they are searching for him. Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce says White has had psychiatric issues since at least 2013.
Most Read Stories
- 83-year-old woman sexually assaulted in SeaTac assisted-living facility; assailant sought
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here
- Passage of paid-family-leave act shows power of working together | Op-Ed
- Readers speak out: ‘Seattle doesn't know how to handle the boom’
Residents at the Boulevard Homeless Shelter say White had threatened to kill someone for at least a week leading up to the attack. The shelter houses men with mental health issues.
Black was a former city public school teacher and librarian.