NEW YORK (AP) — Police say a man has stabbed his roommate to death at a New York City homeless shelter.
They say 62-year-old Deven Black was found stabbed in the neck Wednesday night in East Harlem.
They say the killer fled when a security guard opened the door to the room and found Black bleeding on the floor.
Police have identified their suspect as 21-year-old Anthony White, and they are searching for him. Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce says White has had psychiatric issues since at least 2013.
Most Read Stories
- Submarines dismantled in Puget Sound are symbols of nation’s defense dilemma | Jon Talton
- Democrats are supposed to be fighting back, but they just keep losing | Danny Westneat
- Spike Lee posts, then deletes photo thanking Seahawks' Pete Carroll for signing Colin Kaepernick
- Swedish double-booked its surgeries, and the patients didn't know | Quantity of Care
- Seattle Zestimates are off by $40,000; now hundreds of data crunchers vie to improve Zillow’s model
Residents at the Boulevard Homeless Shelter say White had threatened to kill someone for at least a week leading up to the attack. The shelter houses men with mental health issues.
Black was a former city public school teacher and librarian.