A reopened police investigation has concluded that actor Dylan McDermott's mother was killed by her now-dead gangster boyfriend.
WATERBURY, Conn. — A reopened police investigation has concluded that actor Dylan McDermott’s mother was killed in 1967 by her now-dead gangster boyfriend.
Waterbury police reopened the investigation last year into Diane McDermott’s death after Dylan McDermott contacted them with questions, the Republican-American newspaper reported Sunday and Monday in a two-part series.
He was 5 when his mother was shot. Her death was originally ruled an accident.
John Sponza, who police say had ties to organized crime, was shot to death in 1972, his body found in the trunk of a car in Waltham, Mass.
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Reed brother led detectives to bodies believed to be Arlington couple
- Your vote counts so little in today’s primary election, John Oliver joked about it on ‘Last Week Tonight’
- Trump, Clinton win Washington state primary
- Ivar’s looks to sell, lease back two venerable restaurant sites
Most Read Stories
H. Wayne Carver, the state’s medical examiner, reviewed McDermott’s autopsy and determined that the gun found near the body was too small a caliber to have been the weapon used to kill her. The wound also showed that the weapon had been pressed to the back of her head, according to his report.
Dylan McDermott, who won a Golden Globe in 1999 for his role on the TV drama “The Practice,” declined to comment to the newspaper about the investigation. His sister, Robin Herrera, said she is relieved that the truth has been discovered.
“I’m happy to know my mother wasn’t mentally ill or depressed,” she said. “Somebody took her from us; she didn’t leave us.”