How many governors does it take to run the state of California? Next week, the answer's four.
How many governors does it take to run the state of California? Next week, the answer’s four.
Three different acting governors will fill in for Gov. Jerry Brown when the state’s top officials take turns leaving.
Brown is taking off Sunday to lead a trade mission to Mexico. While he’s gone, executive powers will roll to Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom — until Newsom leaves Tuesday for Special Olympics events on the East Coast.
Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg will then be acting governor until Wednesday, when he goes to Chicago on personal business.
- For UW, an Apple Cup victory that doubled as a breakthrough
- Bill Gates to commit billions for clean energy
- Black Friday protesters decry materialism, racism, violence
- Holiday and Independence Bowls are potential destinations for UW and WSU
- The story of one homeless girl, Brittany, who was failed time and again
Most Read Stories
That will leave Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins in charge for about nine hours until Brown returns later that day.
All four are Democrats.
The succession rules are outlined in the state Constitution.