How many governors does it take to run the state of California? Next week, the answer's four.
How many governors does it take to run the state of California? Next week, the answer’s four.
Three different acting governors will fill in for Gov. Jerry Brown when the state’s top officials take turns leaving.
Brown is taking off Sunday to lead a trade mission to Mexico. While he’s gone, executive powers will roll to Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom — until Newsom leaves Tuesday for Special Olympics events on the East Coast.
Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg will then be acting governor until Wednesday, when he goes to Chicago on personal business.
- Unusual motel sting casts wide net on illicit activity
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
- Priced out? Growing numbers appear to be fleeing King County
- 5 Seahawks takeaways from the NFL League Meetings
Most Read Stories
That will leave Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins in charge for about nine hours until Brown returns later that day.
All four are Democrats.
The succession rules are outlined in the state Constitution.