How many governors does it take to run the state of California? Next week, the answer's four.
How many governors does it take to run the state of California? Next week, the answer’s four.
Three different acting governors will fill in for Gov. Jerry Brown when the state’s top officials take turns leaving.
Brown is taking off Sunday to lead a trade mission to Mexico. While he’s gone, executive powers will roll to Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom — until Newsom leaves Tuesday for Special Olympics events on the East Coast.
Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg will then be acting governor until Wednesday, when he goes to Chicago on personal business.
- Nathan Hale High School juniors boycott state test
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- Ditching Dreamliners: United buys older, cheaper planes
- 100 drug arrests kick off new push against downtown crime
- Seahawks' toughness is not for everyone
Most Read Stories
That will leave Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins in charge for about nine hours until Brown returns later that day.
All four are Democrats.
The succession rules are outlined in the state Constitution.