RENO, Nev. — A federal official said more than 61,000 people turned out so far for the weekend Burning Man outdoor art and music festival in the Black Rock Desert of northern Nevada.
U.S. Bureau of Land Management spokesman Mark Turney said Saturday that gate management was tightened Friday when organizers got close to a permitted capacity of 68,000.
Turney says the crowd ebbs and flows at the festival taking place about 100 miles north of Reno.
He says organizers reported one person was flown to a hospital by medical helicopter this week after being struck by a vehicle.
- Marymoor Park concerts: Full lineup announced
- Capitol Hill light-rail station nearly ready for trains to rumble
- Nelson Cruz's home run in ninth inning lifts Mariners to sweep of Rays
- Historically black Central District could be less than 10% black in a decade
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
Most Read Stories
No other serious incidents have been reported.
The event has become widely known as a hedonistic weeklong art festival on a dry lake called the playa. It occasionally involves barely clothed women and men, all-night dance parties and indescribable large-scale art installations.
Attendance peaked last year at 56,000.
The BLM raised the crowd limit this year after organizers agreed to security, public safety, resource management and cleanup rules.