Best Buy is recalling 5,100 replacement batteries for the MacBook Pro because of a fire risk.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said Wednesday that there have been 13 reports of batteries catching fire. One consumer suffered a serious burn on the leg.
Best Buy is voluntarily recalling black and white ATG lithium-ion replacement batteries for the notebook computers. The batteries were sold online or shipped to customers through Best Buy’s Geek Squad services from September of 2008 through June 2012 for about $50.
Best Buy said it is contacting customers to ask them to return the batteries for replacements or Best Buy gift cards. Company spokesman Jeff Shelman noted that Best Buy is only one of many retailers that may have sold the batteries.
- Anonymous donor pays off landslide victim's $360K mortgage
- Could Chris Polk be a fit for the Seahawks?
- Jesse Jones is back: Seattle's superhero consumer reporter is now at KIRO 7
- This USB cable finally could be connector for long haul
- Fire destroys Bellevue auto showroom, dozens of cars
Most Read Stories
The model number “MC-MBOOK13B” is on the label of the black battery and “MC-BOOK13W” is on the label of the white battery. The ATG logo is on both.