WOODBURY, N.J. (AP) — Authorities say a shoplifting suspect in New Jersey drowned when he ran from police and then tried to swim away in a lake.
Gloucester County prosecutors say officers approached the 20-year-old man at a Woodbury convenience store around 3:50 a.m. Saturday and tried to speak with him. But they say he ran off and jumped into nearby Woodbury Lake.
The officers ordered the man to leave the water. But they soon lost sight of him when he swam under a bridge.
Emergency responders then searched the water for the man but could not find him. A state police dive team eventually found his body around 10:30 a.m.
Most Read Stories
- Route 7 is one of Metro Transit’s most challenging bus lines, and driver Nathan Vass loves it VIEW
- WSU College Republicans leader steps down after being exposed as white-nationalist protester
- Bill Gates makes largest donation of Microsoft stock since 2000 with $4.6 billion gift
- Seattle rental applicants' criminal histories virtually off-limits under new law
- Projecting the Seahawks' 53-man roster following the rout of the Chargers
An autopsy determined the death was an accidental drowning. His identity has not been released.
This story has been corrected to show the lake’s name is Woodbury Lake, not Stewart Lake, as per authorities.