NEW YORK (AP) — The Apollo Theater in New York City has named a new executive producer.
The dance, theater and performance art venue in Harlem announced Tuesday that Kamilah Forbes will join the Apollo in September.
Forbes is the director, producer and co-founder of a New York-based nonprofit, the Hi-ARTS/Hip Hop Theater Festival.
She also has served as producer for seven seasons of HBO’s DEF Poetry Jam and the recent live television show “The Wiz.” She was associate director of the Broadway revival of “A Raisin in the Sun.”
Most Read Stories
- Scientists say recent quake swarm at Rainier doesn't signal impending eruption
- 'Polite Robber' suspect told similar sob story when arrested 8 years ago
- FBI investigating off-duty work by Seattle police at construction sites, parking garages
- Is this Seattle bus stop the worst in America?
- Swastika-wearing man punched on Seattle street, removes swastika, police say
Forbes succeeds Mikki Shepard, who was Apollo’s executive producer for 10 years.
The Apollo has launched the careers of such legendary artists as Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday and Stevie Wonder.
Recently, it premiered the chamber opera “Charlie Parker’s Yardbird” about the famous saxophonist.