Orca spotters say one of the older killer whales that frequent the Puget Sound has been missing for about six weeks and they presume Orca J8, also known as "Speiden," is dead.
Orca spotters say one of the older killer whales that frequent the Puget Sound has been missing for about six weeks and they presume Orca J8, also known as “Speiden,” is dead.
The Orca Network told KOMO-TV (http://is.gd/Jcj7Cu ) the female orca was last seen on Sept. 19 near Victoria and has not been seen the past two times her J Pod was in the Puget Sound’s Saratoga Passage.
Howard Garrett, co-director of the network, says Orca J8 was about 80 years old, which is near the upper limit for female orca longevity. Garrett speculates her disappearance was likely natural.
The Orca Network says J8 is not the oldest orca in her pod. Orca J2, known as “Granny,” is believed to be 102 years old.
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
- Panthers' Cam Newton and Seahawks' Russell Wilson handled Super Bowl losses very differently
- Sale of Weyerhaeuser’s Federal Way campus means more intensive development
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson writes a thank-you letter to Peyton Manning
Most Read Stories
Information from: KOMO-TV, http://www.komotv.com/