Orca spotters say one of the older killer whales that frequent the Puget Sound has been missing for about six weeks and they presume Orca J8, also known as "Speiden," is dead.
Orca spotters say one of the older killer whales that frequent the Puget Sound has been missing for about six weeks and they presume Orca J8, also known as “Speiden,” is dead.
The Orca Network told KOMO-TV (http://is.gd/Jcj7Cu ) the female orca was last seen on Sept. 19 near Victoria and has not been seen the past two times her J Pod was in the Puget Sound’s Saratoga Passage.
Howard Garrett, co-director of the network, says Orca J8 was about 80 years old, which is near the upper limit for female orca longevity. Garrett speculates her disappearance was likely natural.
The Orca Network says J8 is not the oldest orca in her pod. Orca J2, known as “Granny,” is believed to be 102 years old.
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner on contract talks: 'Now. That's my deadline'
- Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant Ivar's
Most Read Stories
Information from: KOMO-TV, http://www.komotv.com/