ARGOS, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say two young brothers are dead after one started struggling while playing in water in northern Indiana and the other fell in while trying to rescue him.
Conservation officers responded Sunday to a muddy creek known as Redinger Ditch in Marshall County. By the time they arrived, the Department of Natural Resources says, 12-year-old Kenneth Martin and 13-year-old Mahlon Martin were dead.
The DNR says several young people were playing in or near the ditch when one began struggling and the others formed a “human chain” to reach him. That’s when the other boy fell. The DNR didn’t say which brother fell in first.
Conservation Officer Cpl. Ken Dowdle tells WSBT-TV that the others in the group did what they could and that he’s “proud of their rescue effort.”
Most Read Stories
- Swastika-wearing man punched on Seattle street, removes swastika, police say
- Win over 49ers can't mask the fact that these Seahawks are in big trouble | Matt Calkins
- 'Polite Robber' suspect told similar sob story when arrested 8 years ago
- Pete Carroll on Seahawks offense: 'There will be some things that will be a little bit different this week' WATCH
- A daring betrayal helped wipe out Cali cocaine cartel