SKOKIE, Ill. (AP) — Police say two students accused of planning to carry out a shooting at their suburban Chicago middle school have been taken into custody.
Police in Skokie said in a statement that McCracken Middle School officials contacted them Wednesday morning after hearing about the students’ plan “to commit a shooting … in the near future.”
They’re expected to be charged as juveniles.
No details have been released about the plan. Police say the threat “is no longer viable.”
Most Read Stories
- Submarines dismantled in Puget Sound are symbols of nation’s defense dilemma | Jon Talton
- Democrats are supposed to be fighting back, but they just keep losing | Danny Westneat
- Seattle Zestimates are off by $40,000; now hundreds of data crunchers vie to improve Zillow’s model
- Spike Lee posts, then deletes photo thanking Seahawks' Pete Carroll for signing Colin Kaepernick
- Police: Man hurling racial slurs kills 2, injures 1 on train
Police say three other students are suspected of knowing about the plan. Police interviewed those three and released them to their parents.
School officials are working with police in the investigation.