AUSTIN, Texas — Police say two people have died after a car drove through temporary barricades set up for the South By Southwest festival and struck a crowd of pedestrians.
Lt. Brian Moon says the two victims were confirmed dead at the scene in downtown Austin, along a block where several clubs are located. Moon says 21 others were transported to various hospitals, most with minor injuries. He says five to seven had more serious injuries.
The fatal crash happened around 12:30 a.m. Thursday.
Police say the driver has been taken into custody.
- Female tiger killed by mating partner at Sacramento Zoo
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Amid Zika fears, local family shares the reality of microcephaly
- Seahawks sign CFL receiver Jeff Fuller and running back Cameron Marshall
- Nigerian suicide bomber gets cold feet, refuses to kill