An accident at a hospital construction site near Thailand's capital on Tuesday killed at least 11 people and injured 18 others, police said.
An accident at a hospital construction site near Thailand’s capital on Tuesday killed at least 11 people and injured 18 others, police said.
Police Lieutenant Aphiwat Gaysorn said the accident in Samut Prakarn province’s Bang Phli district occurred when a beam supporting an elevator shaft collapsed and fell on workers who were constructing an annex at the hospital.
He said another worker was trapped under rubble and was believed dead.
A statement from Mahidol University, operator of the Ramathibodi Hospital medical center, blamed the collapse on soil subsidence under the elevator chute, the Bangkok Post newspaper’s website reported.
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- 2 young boys suffer 'significant' injuries in explosion in Enumclaw
- FBI, police investigating Seattle officer in violent 2010 incident
- B-boys to Balkan, the Northwest Folklife Festival is under way
- Jon Ryan going for title of NFL's most 'Ninja'-like punter