Ed the Plumber: When it comes to choosing a new toilet, you need to consider available options and features that will work best for your home and family.
Q: I recently looked into getting a new toilet and was confused at all the choices I needed to make when buying one. I know that you have a way of making most plumbing issues easy to understand. So, can you help guide me through the process of choosing my new toilet?
— Fred, Ohio
A: When it comes to choosing a new toilet, you need to consider available options and features that will work best for your home and family. I have made a “toilet checklist” that may help you.
1. Style: “One-piece” toilets can look trendy and be easier to clean, but “two-piece” toilets may fit your budget a little better.
- UW, Alaska Airlines agree to naming-rights deal for Husky Stadium's field
- Wife upset dad disappointed in baby's gender
- A couple thoughts on Fred Jackson, Kam Chancellor and the Seahawks
- Seahawks preseason awards: MVPs, surprises, disappointments, toughest roster calls
- Seattle teachers vote to strike if agreement isn’t reached
Most Read Stories
2. Bowl shape: “Elongated” bowls give you a longer bowl, but for small bathrooms a “round front” bowl may fit the space.
3. Toilet height: If you need a taller toilet, “comfort height” toilets are about 2 inches higher than standard toilets.
4. Gallons per flush: Most standard toilets flush with 1.6 gpf, “high-efficiency” toilets flush with 1.3 gpf or less.
5. Flushing options: Gravity flush toilets can be available in single or “dual-flush” models. Dual flush gives the option of a full flush or a half flush. Also available are “assisted-flush” toilets where air pressure can help add more flushing power.
I hope this helps flush out your confusion. If you make a list of all your choices, a plumber or salesperson can help choose a toilet that will work best for you.
Master contractor/plumber Ed Del Grande is the author of the book “Ed Del Grande’s House Call,” a host of TV and Internet shows, and a LEED green associate. Visit eddelgrande.comor write email@example.com. Always consult local contractors and codes.