Urban sophisticates and nature lovers can be equally content in Singapore, with its upscale shops, eclectic cultural life and leafy retreats. Some iconic scenes from the island...
Urban sophisticates and nature lovers can be equally content in Singapore, with its upscale shops, eclectic cultural life and leafy retreats. Some iconic scenes from the island:
Singapore Botanic Gardens: “All the Englishmen in the island congregated there,” Rudyard Kipling wrote of this oasis more than a century ago. And they still do, along with many others. Don’t miss the National Orchid Garden, one of Asia’s largest.
Most Read Stories
- Foreign buyers drop off as Seattle housing market hits hottest tempo since 2006 bubble
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- ‘A painful and frustrating experience’: Horizon Air scheduling havoc will continue into the fall
- 'Security concerns' shutter Seattle's Movie Night at Magnuson Park
- Dining on roadkill: Washington residents gather 1,600 deer, elk in law's first year VIEW
Asian Civilisations Museum: This striking new facility reflects Singapore’s status as one of Asia’s great ethnic melting pots. Listen to gamelan music from Indonesia or admire a batik from Syria. Then stroll out back for a river view and a meal or snack at the cafe.
Singapore Zoological Gardens: One of the world’s great zoos is in two parts. One is a jungly park that puts few barriers between humans and other species. You can even have breakfast and tea with the wildlife. The other is the Night Safari, where visitors spy on beasts’ nocturnal doings.