If you’ve seen the Oscar-nominated film “The Artist,” you’re acquainted with Uggie, the Jack Russell Terrier who accompanies silent film star George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) in almost every scene. His performance this year, along with two others by four-legged stars in “Hugo” and “Beginners,” prompted film critic Moira Macdonald to take a look back at some of the top dogs of cinema.
Which canine legends come to mind? Here’s just one:
Below, Toto, played by Terry, arrives in the Land of Oz in the arms of his best friend Dorothy (Judy Garland) in the 1939 classic “The Wizard of Oz.”
- Turkey’s president, Putin hurl insults after plane downed
- Teen, one of 14 siblings, finally gets to be a kid
- Seattle sushi fans, rejoice: Shiro's new place is open
- UW fires women’s crew coach Bob Ernst
- 2015 Apple Cup might be the start of something big for UW Huskies, WSU Cougars