If you’ve seen the Oscar-nominated film “The Artist,” you’re acquainted with Uggie, the Jack Russell Terrier who accompanies silent film star George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) in almost every scene. His performance this year, along with two others by four-legged stars in “Hugo” and “Beginners,” prompted film critic Moira Macdonald to take a look back at some of the top dogs of cinema.
Which canine legends come to mind? Here’s just one:
Below, Toto, played by Terry, arrives in the Land of Oz in the arms of his best friend Dorothy (Judy Garland) in the 1939 classic “The Wizard of Oz.”
- The hidden homeless: families in the suburbs
- Home prices charge ahead, driving some buyers farther afield
- How the Seahawks got two first-round picks in the NFL draft
- Here are Seattle-area companies employees enjoy working at most
- Mayor, Chris Hansen denounce misogynistic comments over council arena vote