If you’ve seen the Oscar-nominated film “The Artist,” you’re acquainted with Uggie, the Jack Russell Terrier who accompanies silent film star George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) in almost every scene. His performance this year, along with two others by four-legged stars in “Hugo” and “Beginners,” prompted film critic Moira Macdonald to take a look back at some of the top dogs of cinema.
Which canine legends come to mind? Here’s just one:
Below, Toto, played by Terry, arrives in the Land of Oz in the arms of his best friend Dorothy (Judy Garland) in the 1939 classic “The Wizard of Oz.”
- Seahawks' Marshawn Lynch announces retirement in his own, unique fashion
- Black Sabbath calls it a night at the Tacoma Dome — for good
- Seattle’s brash king of pot raking in cash and raising hackles at Uncle Ike’s
- Costco delays credit-card switch
- Marshawn Lynch leaves behind a legacy like no other with Seahawks