Mars Petcare has expanded last week’s recall of Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition dry dog food products to 55-pound bags sold in Sam’s Club in Indiana, Michigan and Ohio because they may contain small metal fragments, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reports.
The fragments, which Mars says got into the packages during the production process, are not embedded in the food itself, the FDA said, but may present a risk of injury if consumed.
The recall originally was limited to 22 bags shipped to Dollar General stores in Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee and Louisiana. The company said it was expanding the recall because some of the production lot that was supposed to be held was, instead, released to consumers.
The affected packages are:
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- How ISIS methodically groomed a lonely young Wash. state woman
- Lake City residents fight to regain use of now-private beach
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- Despite struggles on and off field, ex-Skyline star QB Jake Heaps still chasing his dream
Most Read Stories
• 55-pound bags will have the lot code 432E1KKM03 printed on the back of the bag near the UPC and a Best Before date of 8/7/15. They were sold in were sold between August 14 and August 30 at Sam’s Club in Michigan in Comstock Park, Muskegon, Jackson, Roseville, Saginaw; in Kokomo, Ind., and in Ohio in Dayton, Holland and Lima.
•15-pound bags will have the lot code 432C1KKM03 printed on the back of the bag near the UPC and a Best Before date of 8/5/15. They were sold between Aug. 18 and Aug. 30 at Dollar General stores in Arkansas in Perryville and Cabot; in Louisiana in Baton Rouge, Calhoun, Hineston, Jonesville, Pineville, and Slaughter; in Mississippi in Magnolia and Vicksburg; and in Memphis, Tenn.
Consumers who purchased the bags are advised to discard the food or return it to the retailer for a full refund or exchange. Consumers may contact Mars Petcare at 800-305-5206 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. CST.