What it is: An eggnog-like product made with soy milk instead of the cow's milk (and the eggs) usually found in this holiday treat. Taste: Thinner texture than most milk-based...
What it is: An eggnog-like product made with soy milk instead of the cow’s milk (and the eggs) usually found in this holiday treat.
Taste: Thinner texture than most milk-based, full-fat eggnogs, but a similar flavor. In an unscientific sampling, Seattle Times tasters voiced a range of descriptions and opinions:
A fan of lattes laced with conventional eggnog said Silk Nog was sweeter, thinner and less rich than regular eggnog but that she would buy it. Another taster who regularly uses soy milk found Silk Nog pleasant and without any “off flavor.” Some said it would taste better when mixed with another beverage, such as rum or espresso.
One lover of regular eggnog called SilkNog “kind of watery,” while another said she’d rather go “whole hog” for regular nog, since she indulges in eggnog only once a year, during the holidays.
Possible advantage : Product may be appropriate for anyone who is lactose-intolerant or who prefers soy over milk for any other reason or does not eat eggs. Also, Silk Nog is lower in fat, calories and carbohydrates than milk-based, full-fat eggnog (see chart).
The chart compares the calories, total fat, saturated fat and carbohydrates in ½ cup of Silk Nog with those in the same amount of Darigold Egg Nog, Darigold Light Egg Nog and Horizon Organic Lowfat Egg Nog.
Judith Blake, Seattle Times staff writer
|Silk Nog||Darigold ||Darigold ||Horizon Organic |
|Total fat||2 grams||8 grams||4.5 grams||3|
|Saturated fat||0 grams||5 grams||2.5 grams||2|
|Carbohydrates||15 mg||25||20 grams||22|
|Source: Product packages|
Most Read Stories
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Federal judge: ‘The citizens of Seattle are not going to pay blackmail for constitutional policing’
- Storm star Sue Bird says she's gay and opens up about dating Megan Rapinoe WATCH
- '450 square feet of fear': Renter dreads rising cost for Fremont studio apartment | Seattle Sketcher
- Illicit skatepark on Green Lake’s Duck Island: Cops called on bowl built in bird habitat WATCH