What it is: An eggnog-like product made with soy milk instead of the cow's milk (and the eggs) usually found in this holiday treat. Taste: Thinner texture than most milk-based...
What it is: An eggnog-like product made with soy milk instead of the cow’s milk (and the eggs) usually found in this holiday treat.
Taste: Thinner texture than most milk-based, full-fat eggnogs, but a similar flavor. In an unscientific sampling, Seattle Times tasters voiced a range of descriptions and opinions:
A fan of lattes laced with conventional eggnog said Silk Nog was sweeter, thinner and less rich than regular eggnog but that she would buy it. Another taster who regularly uses soy milk found Silk Nog pleasant and without any “off flavor.” Some said it would taste better when mixed with another beverage, such as rum or espresso.
One lover of regular eggnog called SilkNog “kind of watery,” while another said she’d rather go “whole hog” for regular nog, since she indulges in eggnog only once a year, during the holidays.
Possible advantage : Product may be appropriate for anyone who is lactose-intolerant or who prefers soy over milk for any other reason or does not eat eggs. Also, Silk Nog is lower in fat, calories and carbohydrates than milk-based, full-fat eggnog (see chart).
The chart compares the calories, total fat, saturated fat and carbohydrates in ½ cup of Silk Nog with those in the same amount of Darigold Egg Nog, Darigold Light Egg Nog and Horizon Organic Lowfat Egg Nog.
Judith Blake, Seattle Times staff writer
|Silk Nog||Darigold ||Darigold ||Horizon Organic |
|Total fat||2 grams||8 grams||4.5 grams||3|
|Saturated fat||0 grams||5 grams||2.5 grams||2|
|Carbohydrates||15 mg||25||20 grams||22|
|Source: Product packages|
Most Read Stories
- Swastika-wearing man punched on Seattle street, removes swastika, police say
- 'Polite Robber' suspect told similar sob story when arrested 8 years ago
- Pete Carroll on Seahawks offense: 'There will be some things that will be a little bit different this week' WATCH
- In Seattle mayoral race between Jenny Durkan and Cary Moon, it’s the same old sexist nonsense | Nicole Brodeur
- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions sips a 'Nuke Waste' during low-key visit to Kitsap