Place whole chicken breast skin-side down on cutting board. With a cleaver, cut down center to separate halves. Move chicken drumstick to locate the joint separating it from the thigh. Cut...
– 1 best-of-fryer chicken, about 2½ to 3 pounds
– 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
– 1 cup water
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
– 1 to 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
– 3 tablespoons tomato paste
– ¼ teaspoon turmeric
– ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
– ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
– ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
– About 1/3 cup green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
– 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
– Hot cooked couscous
Most Read Stories
- Seahawks, Titans only teams to both not take the field during day of anthem protests across NFL WATCH
- Huskies get first test of season out of the way and they aced it with win at Colorado | Larry Stone
- A daring betrayal helped wipe out Cali cocaine cartel
- Pete Carroll responds to Trump comments, backs Seahawks: 'We stand for our players and their constitutional rights'
- Seahawks' Richard Sherman, dozens of athletes respond to Trump's rant against NFL player protests
1. Place whole chicken breast skin-side down on cutting board. With a cleaver, cut down center to separate halves. Move chicken drumstick to locate the joint separating it from the thigh. Cut through joint to separate. With kitchen shears, remove as much skin as possible from chicken.
2. Combine broth and water; set aside.
3. In a 10-to 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes, or until softened. (Add a tablespoon of broth if onions begin to stick to pan.) Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Stir in about 3 tablespoons broth, tomato paste, turmeric, cayenne, caraway and pepper. Stir 2 minutes. Add remaining broth, mixing well.
4. Put chicken into pan, spooning some of onions on top. Cover and simmer gently 25 minutes. Turn chicken occasionally. Add olives and continue cooking 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove chicken from pan.
5. Cook liquid in pan until thickened, about 5 minutes. When chicken is cool enough to handle, pull from bones and put back into sauce. Stir in parsley and heat over medium-low heat. Serve with couscous on the side.
Data per serving
Saturated fat 3.35g
Monounsaturated fat 7.22g
Polyunsaturated fat 2.71g