To prepare the glaze: Combine cranberries and wine in a saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in honey and continue simmering 2 minutes. Strain...
– 2¼ cups cranberries, rinsed and drained
– ¾ cup dry red wine (such as burgundy)
– 3 tablespoons honey
Most Read Stories
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Why watermelon is good for you
- Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here
- Distracted-driving law in full effect for Monday morning commute
- Woman, 71, and terrier-Chihuahua named Yoda rescued after nearly week in Olympic National Park
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
Game hens and stuffing:
– 1 tablespoon melted butter
– 1/3 cup minced onion
– 1/3 cup minced celery
– 1/3 cup cranberries, rinsed and drained, coarsely chopped
– 2 cups French-bread cubes, ½-inch thick
– ¼ cup chicken broth
– ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
– 1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
– ¼ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
– ½ teaspoon salt, divided
– ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
– 4 Cornish game hens, giblets removed, thawed,rinsed and dried
– Kitchen string
1. To prepare the glaze: Combine cranberries and wine in a saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in honey and continue simmering 2 minutes. Strain glaze, stir in oil and set aside.
2. To prepare the game hens and stuffing: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion, celery and cranberries. Sauté 3 minutes.
3. Add sautéed mixture to the bread cubes. Let cool. Stir in chicken broth, parsley, sage, thyme, ¼ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
4. Stuff game hens with the stuffing and tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Place hens in a roasting pan.
5. Brush some of glaze over each game hen and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Place in a preheated 450-degree oven for 20 minutes.
6. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue roasting for 45 minutes longer. Baste hens with glaze and sprinkle with salt and pepper twice more during the cooking time.
7. Remove hens from oven and let rest 5 minutes. Cut strings and serve a game hen to each person.