Cut onions in halves, peel and slice 1/8-inch thick. There should be about 4 cups onions. Heat butter and oil in a large sauté pan on medium...
Makes about 2 ½ cups
– 2 large yellow onions
– 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 3 tablespoons canola oil
– ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
– ¾ teaspoon salt
– ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
– 8 ounces softened light cream cheese
– ½ cup light sour cream
– ½ cup light mayonnaise
1. Cut onions in halves, peel and slice 1/8-inch thick. There should be about 4 cups onions.
2. Heat butter and oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add onions, cayenne, salt and pepper; sauté 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 additional minutes, until the onions are soft and caramelized. Cool.
3. Place cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the onions and pulse until mixed. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
4. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.
From “The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook” by Ina Garten.