Dry bread slices on rack in 250-degree oven for 1 to 1 ¼ hours, or let air-dry overnight. Lightly coat a 2 ½-quart casserole or baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In skillet...
10 to 12 servings
– Nonstick cooking spray
– 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread, sliced
– 2 cups finely chopped celery
– 2 cups finely chopped onion
– ¾ cup butter
Most Read Stories
- Look back at our live coverage of the solar eclipse WATCH
- Your guide to enjoying the eclipse from Seattle
- 3 surprising Seattle restaurant closures — plus 11 more
- Watch: Alaska Airlines flight offers dramatic view of solar eclipse WATCH
- Friends honor artist’s last wishes with water ballet in a Seattle kiddie pool WATCH
– 2 teaspoons lemon juice
– 3 jars (8 to 10 ounces each) fresh oysters, drained and cut up (reserve liquid)
– ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
– 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– Freshly ground black pepper
1. Dry bread slices on rack in 250-degree oven for 1 to 1 ¼ hours, or let air-dry overnight.
2. Lightly coat a 2 ½-quart casserole or baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In skillet, sauté celery and onion in butter until tender.
3. Break bread into ½-inch pieces, making about 11 cups; place in large mixing bowl. Add turkey broth and lemon juice to oyster liquid to make ½ cup. Sprinkle mixture over bread, tossing lightly. Add onion-celery mixture and oysters to bread; toss to mix well. Sprinkle with nutmeg, poultry seasoning, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Mix thoroughly.
4. Transfer stuffing to prepared baking dish. Cover and immediately bake in a preheated 325-degree oven 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking 10 minutes.