Cook onion, bell pepper and celery in the butter for a few minutes to soften. Set aside to cool. Dice half of the bread into a 2½-quart baking dish. Mix crab or...
8 to 12 servings
– 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
– 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
– 1 cup chopped celery
– 1 tablespoon butter
– 8 slices white bread
Most Read Stories
- Students frustrated trying to get into UW’s strict engineering program
- Officials say damage to sewage plant in Discovery Park is catastrophic
- Mexico City is a parched and sinking capital
- T-Mobile one-ups Verizon’s new unlimited data plan; 4Q results top forecasts
- Downtown Eugene in ‘crisis,’ consultant says
– 2 cups cooked crab or shrimp meat
– ½ cup mayonnaise
– 3 cups milk
– 4 eggs
– 1 can (10¾ ounces) mushroom soup
– About 1½ cups grated cheddar
1. Cook onion, bell pepper and celery in the butter for a few minutes to soften. Set aside to cool.
2. Dice half of the bread into a 2½-quart baking dish. Mix crab or shrimp with mayonnaise and vegetables and spread over diced bread. Trim crusts from remaining bread slices and place over seafood mixture. Mix milk and eggs and pour over mixture. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
3. Remove cover and place baking dish in a preheated 325-degree oven for 15 minutes. Take from oven and spoon soup over top. Sprinkle cheese and paprika on top. Continue baking 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before serving.
From Mrs. O.T. Ritchie and Mrs. Louis Knight, published in The Seattle Times, 1954.