Put almonds in a dry skillet set on medium heat. Toast about 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden. Cool, then chop finely and set aside. Finely chop olives, chipotle and pickled jalapeño. Set...
8 to 10 servings
– ¼ cup slivered almonds
– 1/3 cup pimento-stuffed green olives
– 1 teaspoon chipotle chili in adobo
– 1 pickled jalapeño pepper, stemmed
– 2 slices bacon, diced
– 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
– 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
– ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
– 1 medium clove garlic, peeled and minced
– 1 cup plain fresh bread crumbs
– 1/3 cup milk
– 1½ tablespoons mayonnaise (can be light)
– 1½ teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
– 1 pound lean ground pork
– ½ pound lean ground beef
– 1 egg, lightly beaten
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
– 1 tablespoon finely minced parsley
– Nonstick cooking spray
Most Read Stories
- Ex-Seahawk Marshawn Lynch is never far from teammates’ memories WATCH
- Suspicious? Gay groomsman only one left out of rehearsal dinner | Dear Carolyn
- Jury acquits leaders of Malheur wildlife-refuge standoff
- Live updates from Dakota Access Pipeline protests: ‘It will be a battle here’
- Watch: Shots reportedly fired, 117 arrested at Dakota Access Pipeline protests WATCH
1. Put almonds in a dry skillet set on medium heat. Toast about 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden. Cool, then chop finely and set aside.
2. Finely chop olives, chipotle and pickled jalapeño. Set aside.
3. Put bacon into a 10-inch nonstick skillet set on medium heat. Cook until browned but not crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Pour off fat. Add a teaspoon oil and sauté onion 3 minutes. Add red pepper and sauté 3 minutes, then add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. Combine bread crumbs and milk in a bowl. Set aside 5 minutes. Stir in mayonnaise and mustard.
5. Place pork and beef in a large bowl. Add almonds, olive mixture, bacon, vegetables, bread crumb mixture, egg, salt, pepper and parsley. Mix gently with clean hands. Spray a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Lightly pack meat mixture into the pan. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 1 hour. Drain off the fatty juices twice during the cooking time. The internal temperature of the meat loaf should register 165 degrees. Test in several places.
6. Set loaf aside 10 to 15 minutes. Lift from the pan with a wide spatula to a plate. Slice and serve.
Data per 1 of 10 servings
Saturated fat 4.17g
Monounsaturated fat 5.01g
Polyunsaturated fat 1.79g
Adapted from “The Food & Life of Oaxaca” by Zarela Martinez.