Chestnut Tiramisu 12 servings Orange syrup: 1 cup water ½ cup granulated sugar 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest 2 tablespoons dark rum Filling: 4 egg yolks ½...
– 1 cup water
– ½ cup granulated sugar
– 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
– 2 tablespoons dark rum
Most Read Stories
- Seattle skyline is tops in construction cranes — more than any other U.S. city
- Complete coverage: No. 5 Huskies roll to 41-17 victory over Oregon State Beavers VIEW
- Kremlin: demands for Assad's departure "thoughtless"
- Injury to sideline UW sack leader Joe Mathis against Oregon State
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
– 4 egg yolks
– ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
– 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
– 1½ cups whipping cream
– 2 packages (3 ounces each) soft ladyfingers or 1 package (7 ounces) crisp ladyfingers
– 1 jar (7.8 ounces) sweetened chestnut cream or 2/3 cup sweetened chestnut spread
– 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
– 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Prepare the orange syrup by combining water, sugar and orange zest in a saucepan, stirring over medium-low heat to dissolve sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly and cook about 5 minutes, or until reduced to about ¾ cup. Cool, then stir in rum.
2. In the top of a double boiler, whisk together egg yolks and sugar. Place over barely simmering water and whisk until very thick, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the mascarpone. Cool.
3. Whip the cream to form soft peaks. Fold into cool cheese mixture. Set aside.
4. If using soft ladyfingers, dip the underside of each in the orange syrup, or if using the crisp variety, dip both sides. Line the bottom and sides of a 2½-quart bowl or casserole with some of the ladyfingers. Spoon half of filling into bowl and spread chestnut cream on top. Grate half of semisweet chocolate over top. Top with remaining ladyfingers and filling. Grate chocolate on top, followed by sifted cocoa powder. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve cold.
Adapted from Sunset Magazine, 1993.