Chestnut Tiramisu 12 servings Orange syrup: 1 cup water ½ cup granulated sugar 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest 2 tablespoons dark rum Filling: 4 egg yolks ½...
– 1 cup water
– ½ cup granulated sugar
– 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
– 2 tablespoons dark rum
Most Read Stories
- 83-year-old woman sexually assaulted in SeaTac assisted-living facility; assailant sought
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here
- Passage of paid-family-leave act shows power of working together | Op-Ed
- Homeless students drawn to Seattle schools by sports are often cast aside when the season’s over
– 4 egg yolks
– ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
– 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
– 1½ cups whipping cream
– 2 packages (3 ounces each) soft ladyfingers or 1 package (7 ounces) crisp ladyfingers
– 1 jar (7.8 ounces) sweetened chestnut cream or 2/3 cup sweetened chestnut spread
– 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
– 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Prepare the orange syrup by combining water, sugar and orange zest in a saucepan, stirring over medium-low heat to dissolve sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly and cook about 5 minutes, or until reduced to about ¾ cup. Cool, then stir in rum.
2. In the top of a double boiler, whisk together egg yolks and sugar. Place over barely simmering water and whisk until very thick, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the mascarpone. Cool.
3. Whip the cream to form soft peaks. Fold into cool cheese mixture. Set aside.
4. If using soft ladyfingers, dip the underside of each in the orange syrup, or if using the crisp variety, dip both sides. Line the bottom and sides of a 2½-quart bowl or casserole with some of the ladyfingers. Spoon half of filling into bowl and spread chestnut cream on top. Grate half of semisweet chocolate over top. Top with remaining ladyfingers and filling. Grate chocolate on top, followed by sifted cocoa powder. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve cold.
Adapted from Sunset Magazine, 1993.