To prepare the salad: Wash and dry lettuce leaves. Tear into pieces and place in a salad bowl; cover with a paper towel and refrigerate. (If making several hours in advance...
8 to 10 servings
– 2 large, heavy heads butter lettuce
– 4 tangerines
– 1 pomegranate
– 3 tablespoons shelled green pistachios, coarsely chopped
Most Read Stories
- This video of Marshawn Lynch narrating the 'Planet Earth II' iguana chase wins the internet
- Watch: Boat called ‘Nap Tyme’ collides with Washington State Ferry near Vashon Island
- Boeing blindsided as Trump slams Air Force One costs
- ‘Panicking’ Seattle home buyers, spooked by rising interest rates, rush to buy
- Amazon unveils smart convenience store sans checkouts, cashiers WATCH
– ½ teaspoon tangerine zest, minced
– 2 tablespoons tangerine juice
– 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
– 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses or 1 tablespoon honey
– ½ teaspoon kosher salt
– ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
– 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. To prepare the salad: Wash and dry lettuce leaves. Tear into pieces and place in a salad bowl; cover with a paper towel and refrigerate. (If making several hours in advance, put torn lettuce into a plastic container, cover and refrigerate.)
2. Zest one of the tangerines and set aside for the dressing. Then cut a thin sliver from the tops and bottoms of each, set on a flat end and cut away the peel and white pith. Slice between the membranes to remove the citrus slices. Squeeze 2 tablespoons tangerine juice from the pith and peels; set aside. Refrigerate tangerines in a covered bowl or plastic container.
3. Split the pomegranate in half crosswise. Gently remove ¼ cup seeds with a teaspoon; discard any bits of membrane. Cover and refrigerate seeds. (Refrigerate remaining pomegranate for another use.) Chop pistachios and set aside in a jar or small plastic bag until ready to use.
4. To prepare dressing: In a small jar, combine tangerine zest and juice, vinegar, molasses or honey, salt and pepper. Close jar and shake well to combine. Add olive oil, blend well and refrigerate until ready to use.
5. When ready to serve, drain tangerines well. Shake dressing to blend and toss a little with lettuce. Add tangerines, pomegranate seeds and pistachios. Drizzle with just enough additional dressing to coat salad lightly.
Adapted from “Everyday Greens” by Annie Somerville.