Combine blue cheese and butter in a food processor; process until creamy. Mix flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Add to blue cheese mixture, pulsing...
Makes about 36
– ½ cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese, room temperature
– 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
– ½ cup all-purpose flour
– ¼ cup cornstarch
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– ¼ teaspoon black pepper
– 1/3 cup walnuts, finely chopped
-Baker’s parchment paper
– ¼ cup light cream cheese
– ¼ cup mango or peach chutney
– Optional: ½ cup walnut halves, toasted and broken
– 36 parsley leaves
1. Combine blue cheese and butter in a food processor; process until creamy. Mix flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Add to blue cheese mixture, pulsing just to combine. Transfer mixture to a sheet of plastic wrap and work with your palm until dough holds together. Form into a flat disk, wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough on a clean piece of plastic wrap and cover with a second piece. Roll to about 1/8-inch thickness. Remove plastic and cut dough into 1-inch circles using a flutted cookie cutter. Place on baking sheet. (Dough scraps can be rerolled once.) Bake on center oven rack until light brown, about 25 minutes. Cool on racks. (The shortbread can be prepared up to 3 days in advance and stored in a sealed tin.)
3. Spread about ¼ teaspoon cream cheese on each shortbread. Top with an equal amount of chutney, a walnut piece and a parsley leaf. These can be assembled up to 1 hour before serving.
Quicker version : The topping can also be spooned onto pita chips or bagel chips.
Data per piece:
Saturated fat 1.75g
Monounsaturated fat 0.91g
Polyunsaturated fat 1.40g
From “Cocktail Food: 50 Finger Foods with Attitude” by Mary Corpening Barber and Sara Corpening Whiteford.
Most Read Stories
- Christopher Monfort, killer of Seattle police officer, found dead in prison cell
- Why are home prices so high? Seattle has 2nd-lowest rate of homes for sale in U.S.
- 50,000 expected to attend Seattle women’s march day after Trump inauguration WATCH
- 3 Seattle restaurants that make you feel like you’re far, far away VIEW
- Portions of Interstate 84, Interstate 90 closed in ice storm