This Frelard restaurant, known for its Catalan-and Valencian-inspired dishes, made the cut for GQ magazine's list of best new restaurants in America.
Writer Brett Martin called its Catalan-and Valencian-inspired dishes “some of the most alive and enrapturing I tasted all year.” And on Sundays, Perfecte Rocher and Alia Zaine’s restaurant “serves a five-course menu of more rustic but equally entrancing dishes, anchored by vast pans of paella — a fingernail-deep layer of perfectly crusty rice.”
But the accolades came with a few shots. GQ said Tarsan i Jane is “attracted to some of fine dining’s worst pretensions. When you make a reservation via the website, you are treated to a disquisition on ‘trust,’ a lecture that boils down to ‘Don’t ask for salt.’ I pitied the server, otherwise stellar, who was forced to follow the policy of not giving tastes of wines by the glass, explaining, ‘We should be able to tell you what they are like.’ ” Check out the full story here.
Here’s our critic’s review of the restaurant from back in August.
Most Read Stories
- Swastika-wearing man punched on Seattle street, removes swastika, police say
- 'Polite Robber' suspect told similar sob story when arrested 8 years ago
- FBI investigating off-duty work by Seattle police at construction sites, parking garages
- Pete Carroll on Seahawks offense: 'There will be some things that will be a little bit different this week' WATCH
- In Seattle mayoral race between Jenny Durkan and Cary Moon, it’s the same old sexist nonsense | Nicole Brodeur
And here’s GQ’s top ten new restaurants in alphabetical order. Note that our neighbor, Portland, also scored a spot with Han Oak.
GQ’s 10 Best New Restaurants in America
Flowers of Vietnam (Detroit)
Han Oak (Portland, OR)
Kato (Los Angeles)
Kemuri Tatsu-ya (Austin)
Rooster Soup Co. (Philadelphia)
Salazar (Los Angeles)
Side Chick (Los Angeles)
Tarsan i Jane (Seattle)
Young Joni (Minneapolis)