In a large (12-inch) skillet, or a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add sausage and brown on all sides, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from...
6 to 8 servings
– 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
– 8 Italian sausage, mild or hot, or a combination of both
– 8 new potatoes, scrubbed, cut into quarters
– 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
– ¼ teaspoon paprika
– ½ cup dry white wine
– 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
– 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh rosemary leaves
– 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
– ½ pound escarole or kale, coarse stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped
– 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 2 teaspoons arrowroot, dissolved in 1½ tablespoons water
– ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
– Freshly ground black pepper to taste
– 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
1. In a large (12-inch) skillet, or a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add sausage and brown on all sides, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from pan and cool slightly before cutting into 1-inch chunks.
2. Put remaining tablespoon oil into the pan, add potatoes and brown. Add garlic and paprika; sauté 30 seconds. Pour in wine and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add broth, rosemary and lemon zest. Cover pan and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
3. Stir in sausage, escarole, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, dissolved arrowroot, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Test a piece of the sausage to make sure it is no longer pink. Mash some of the potatoes with the back of a fork. Taste and add more lemon juice according to taste.
4. Stir in the parsley and serve in soup bowls, with good bread to soak up the juices.