Soak clay pot in water for 15 minutes. Combine broth, wine and curry powder. Set aside. Put onion slices into the pot; set half of garlic cloves...
5 to 6 servings
– ½ cup chicken broth
– ¼ cup dry white wine
– 2 teaspoons curry powder
– 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
– 1 head of garlic, peeled
– 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced ½-inch thick
– 1 pound small red potatoes, each cut in half
– ½ lemon, thickly sliced
– 1/3 cup golden raisins
– ½ teaspoon salt
– Freshly ground black pepper to taste
– 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into ½-inch cubes
– 1 cut-up, best-of-fryer chicken, about 2½ to 3 pounds, skin removed
– 2 tablespoons flour
– 1½ tablespoons butter, softened
– 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
– French bread
Most Read Stories
- Amazon unveils smart convenience store sans checkouts, cashiers WATCH
- UW Huskies awarded No. 4 seed for College Football Playoff, to play No. 1 Alabama in Peach Bowl
- Three rounds of lowland snow possible in Western Washington
- Once extinct in Washington, fishers return to Mount Rainier
- Seahawks’ Earl Thomas hints at retirement on Twitter after breaking bone in leg vs. Panthers
1. Soak clay pot in water for 15 minutes. Combine broth, wine and curry powder. Set aside.
2. Put onion slices into the pot; set half of garlic cloves on top. Add carrots and potatoes, lemon slices, all of the raisins, half of the salt, several grindings of black pepper and the tomatoes. Pour half of broth-curry mixture over the vegetables.
3. Place chicken on top of vegetables. Tuck remaining garlic cloves around chicken; sprinkle with remaining salt and a little more pepper. Pour remaining broth into the pot. Cover and place in cold oven. Heat to 350 degrees. Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes.
4. Combine flour and butter to form a paste. Stir into pot, cover and continue to bake 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender and cooked through. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with lots of French bread to soak up the juices.
Note: This recipe can also be baked in a Dutch oven, but oven should be preheated to 350 degrees. Bake 1 hour, then continue with step 4.