Sterilize jars, lids and metal bands 10 minutes. Prepare a water-bath canner. Wash, hull and halve berries. Crush one layer at a time and measure 5 cups into a 6-quart kettle. Stir in lemon...
Makes 10 cups
– 2 quarts strawberries
– ¼ cup lemon juice
– 1 package (2 ounces) powdered pectin
Most Read Stories
- Submarines dismantled in Puget Sound are symbols of nation’s defense dilemma | Jon Talton
- Democrats are supposed to be fighting back, but they just keep losing | Danny Westneat
- Spike Lee posts, then deletes photo thanking Seahawks' Pete Carroll for signing Colin Kaepernick
- Swedish double-booked its surgeries, and the patients didn't know | Quantity of Care
- Seattle Zestimates are off by $40,000; now hundreds of data crunchers vie to improve Zillow’s model
– 7 cups sugar
– ¼ teaspoon butter
1. Sterilize jars, lids and metal bands 10 minutes. Prepare a water-bath canner. Wash, hull and halve berries. Crush one layer at a time and measure 5 cups into a 6-quart kettle. Stir in lemon juice. Add pectin and stir thoroughly to dissolve. This will take several minutes. Scrape down sides of pan and crush any remaining lumps of pectin.
2. Place pan on high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
3. Add sugar and butter, mixing well. Continue stirring and bring to a full rolling boil (a boil that cannot be stirred down). Boil hard exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
4. Remove jam from heat. Skim foam from top.
5. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving ¼-inch headspace. Wipe the rim and threads of each jar with a clean, damp cloth. Place a hot lid on each jar and screw band down firmly. As each jar is filled and capped, place in boiling-water bath with the water 1 to 2 inches over the jars. When canner is full, put cover on pot, bring back to a steady boil and process 5 minutes. (Start counting time when water comes to a boil.)
6. Remove jars with a lifter and set on a rack or towel 12 to 24 hours. Do not retighten bands. Store in a cool, dark place.
From Ball home canning products.