I consider it a blessing, a public service really, that King’s Hardware bar sells wings for 27 cents only once a week.
No one would go home, otherwise. And thank goodness there’s no TV for “Monday Night Football,” or it would turn into a wing-eating marathon from kickoff through SportsCenter.
The Ballard bar already goes through 1,000 wings every Monday — and twice that on summer nights. Monday’s 27-cent deal isn’t listed on the menu, nor on the King’s Hardware webpage. The regulars just know. They order by the dozens, even holding eating contests, washed down with $2 happy-hour Olympia beer.
King’s Hardware is a dive bar. It’s owned by Linda Derschang, so of course there’s wall-to-wall taxidermy. She, more than anyone else, is responsible for that “wilderness chic” décor that’s so popular here.
Most Read Stories
- Submarines dismantled in Puget Sound are symbols of nation’s defense dilemma | Jon Talton
- Democrats are supposed to be fighting back, but they just keep losing | Danny Westneat
- Seattle Zestimates are off by $40,000; now hundreds of data crunchers vie to improve Zillow’s model
- Spike Lee posts, then deletes photo thanking Seahawks' Pete Carroll for signing Colin Kaepernick
- Police: Man hurling racial slurs kills 2, injures 1 on train
Derschang offers some of the city’s cheapest happy hours and specials at all her bars — including a fine burger and can of Hamm’s beer for $4 every Tuesday at King’s Hardware. But the 27-cent wings might be her best deal.
You can order them with either hot sauce or whatever the sauce-of-the week is. Last Valentine’s Day, the special was a honey-garlic sauce, “just to complicate that Monday night romance,” a staffer said.
The wings aren’t as plump as some, but they’re free of antibiotics and hormones. Sometimes they’re crispy, other times not so much. But at 27 cents, I won’t quibble.
King’s Hardware, 5225 Ballard Ave. N.W., offers happy hour daily 4-7 p.m. with $2 Olympia beer, $7 for a pitcher; $3 for other beers on tap and $10 for a pitcher; $3 well drinks and $6.50 for three sliders and $1 off on burgers (206-782-0027 or www.kingsballard.com).
Tan Vinh: 206-515-5656 or email@example.com. On Twitter @tanvinhseattle