VALDEZ, Alaska — The couple arrested for walking through an avalanche blasting area were trying to get their cat to medical care in Valdez.
The Valdez Star (http://bit.ly/1fxVv5T ) reports Kristina Clark and Donney Carlson spent Saturday night in jail after walking more than a mile over two separate avalanches to get their 5-year-old cat named Ninja to a veterinarian. The cat had a urinary infection.
Avalanches and subsequent flooding Friday buried the only highway leading into Valdez, and the town remains cut off from the rest of the state.
Clark, from nearby Copper Center, knew the road to Valdez was closed, but the Valdez Veterinary Clinic told her they would try to help Ninja.
- Seahawks made mistake by drafting Frank Clark
- Seahawks gamble with both of their picks
- Blues legend B.B. King in hospice at his home in Las Vegas
- Peaceful rallies give way to May Day clash, injuries on Capitol Hill
- Rain-soaked Seattle has nation's highest water bills
Most Read Stories
The two were released on bond Sunday while Dr. Kelly Hawkins treated their pet. Hawkins said the cat would not have lasted much longer.