VALDEZ, Alaska — The couple arrested for walking through an avalanche blasting area were trying to get their cat to medical care in Valdez.
The Valdez Star (http://bit.ly/1fxVv5T ) reports Kristina Clark and Donney Carlson spent Saturday night in jail after walking more than a mile over two separate avalanches to get their 5-year-old cat named Ninja to a veterinarian. The cat had a urinary infection.
Avalanches and subsequent flooding Friday buried the only highway leading into Valdez, and the town remains cut off from the rest of the state.
Clark, from nearby Copper Center, knew the road to Valdez was closed, but the Valdez Veterinary Clinic told her they would try to help Ninja.
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
- Let's cut traffic by road rationing, Italian style
- Mariners prospect hit by boat dies at age 20
- Hey, drivers, good luck penetrating the new Seattle
Most Read Stories
The two were released on bond Sunday while Dr. Kelly Hawkins treated their pet. Hawkins said the cat would not have lasted much longer.