If you’re considering remodeling but can’t decide if it’s worth going ahead, here are some things to consider.
1. Is it truly necessary or are you just trying to keep up with the neighbors? Sometimes a big remodeling job is so expensive you might be better off moving to a newer home.
2. Consider all the possibilities. Think about the cost. Can you afford it? Is your income secure? Remember that once you start, you can’t turn back. A good architect and a good building contractor are worth the money, so don’t skimp when it comes to choosing help.
3. Consider how long you intend to stay in this house. If you plan to stay for the rest of your life, then remodeling is a good idea. If you are planing to stay less than five years, you might consider simple improvements.
- Seattle City Council kills sale of street for Sodo arena; Sonics fans despair
- This drone footage of inside Bertha’s tunnel is like something out of ‘Star Wars’
- Ted Cruz ends his bid for Republican presidential nomination
- Man killed by car pulling out of Seattle parking garage
- Bertha under the viaduct: Drilling that shut highway is nearly 30 percent done
Most Read Stories
4. Remodeling is a messy, inconvenient and frustrating process filled with large and small disappointments. It will take longer than estimated. It will cost more as unforeseen costs appear. Prepare yourself.
By Rosemary Sandez Friedmann
Scripps Howard News Service